Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop
What were the first animals with legs? Why are reptile eggs so special? This activity is an experience that guarantees learning about and seeing up close these fascinating vertebrates, their physical characteristics and breeding habits, their food, their role in ecosystems and the need to safeguard them. Workshop based on the senses, observation and the discovery of several amphibians and reptiles using teamwork and group discussions. This methodology of proximity helps students to interiorise learnings more easily.
Duration: 2 hours
Start time: 10.00 am, 12.00 pm, 10:00, 12:00
Come to the Zoo
The Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo teaches students about the main characteristics of these two classes of vertebrates in an entertaining manner that is adapted to their ages.
- Short presentation during which they are shown slides of the main types of amphibians and reptiles.
- They also have the chance to look at and handle different materials coming from animals in our collection.
- Guided tour around the Zoo to learn more about the following contents:
- Comparison of the characteristics of amphibians and reptiles compared to other animals.
- Introduction to the classification of these two classes.
- Comparison of the different types of movement and types of limbs depending on the medium in which they move.
- Observation of the different strategies to obtain food.
- Hunting techniques of poisonous and non-poisonous reptiles.
- Study of amphibian and reptile reproduction: oviparity. Metamorphosis.
- Identificació i modificacions de la protecció de la pell: defensa i camuflatge.
- Sensory organs most used by these two classes.
- Conservation problem of endangered species of amphibians and reptiles in nature.
- Animal trading problem with regard to endangered species of amphibians and reptiles.
What have we learned?
Suggestions about activities to do after the Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo:
Social and natural sciences space:
- Make murals with the photos of animals collected, grouping them by different criteria: external layer, element in which they live, type of movement, type of food, etc.
- Make the students prepare ‘lectures’, individually or in groups, to present to their classmates.
- Write and/or represent stories about the amphibians and reptiles collected or invented by the students, which contain information learned in the activity.
- Make a book or album about animals that contains everything learned.
- Look for similarities and differences between several amphibians and reptiles.
Evaluation of learning obtained:
- When looking at the photograph of an amphibian or reptile, students must say: what type of animal it is, the element in which it moves, the type of food it eats, how it reproduces and its defence mechanism when in danger.
The Amphibians and Reptiles Workshop at the Zoo has been specially designed for students in year 3 and 4 of primary school.
CURRICULUM INTEGRATION OF THE AMPHIBIANS AND REPTILES ACTIVITY
CROSS-CUTTING CURRICULUM AREAS
Education in favour of the environment.
RELATIONSHIP TO THE CURRICULUM DISCIPLINES
The biological cycle of amphibians and reptiles.
With respect to knowledge, facts and ideas:
- Study the reproduction, food and movement of different amphibians and reptiles.
- Observe how they adapt to different habitats and learn about locomotion systems and self-protection systems of these animals.
With respect to procedures:
- Learn to carefully observe the animals and their similarities and differences.
- Embark on the classification and recognition of the different groups of amphibians and reptiles.
With respect to attitudes and values:
- To foster respect for animals through being better informed.
- To awaken students’ awareness about protecting nature.
Small group: 234 € (until 21 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 267 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 30, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
SPECIAL DISCOUNT DURING LOW PERIODS
If you sign up for an educational activity with the Department of Education during the months of September, December, January or February, you will receive a 20% discount off the price. Further, if during these months you do the activity on a Monday or Tuesday, you will receive a 30% discount. (*)
(*) If you sign up for an activity with the Department of Education taking advantage of the promotion and it has to be cancelled due to an incident of force majeure, we will reschedule the activity another day, always with the same original conditions.
Do you want to book?
For do the reservation, fill out the form below and we will contact you.