The majority of animals on our planet are invertebrates! No ecosystem would function without them. This workshop will help students with more knowledge to remember and strengthen the contents they have acquired and learned already at school. We will let newer students discover the traits that help to identify and classify this enormous animal biodiversity. An important part of the workshop is based on teamwork and reasoning as a group, by making observations of living animals and biological materials. This methodology of proximity helps students to interiorise learnings more easily.
Duration: 2 hours
Start time: 10am, 12pm, 2pm
To make the most of the Zoo's Invertebrates Workshop, we suggest doing some work at school beforehand on the following aspects:
Gathering together pupils’ interests and increase their motivation about animals:
- Gather questions from pupils about the invertebrate animals that they will be working on later. Collect information about scourges caused by the African lobster and other invertebrates.
- Gather videos, CDs and other electronic materials on these topics.
- Start a class collection of invertebrates, to which all pupils can add animals and classify them, starting with the phyla that they will be studying most at the Zoo: arthropods, molluscs and echinoderms.
Observing the animals:
- Take a trip to the beach, countryside or forest to discover the great diversity of invertebrate animals that can be found there.
- Build an ant colony with cross-section views.
- Learn about the high proportion of animals that make up invertebrates compared with vertebrates.
- Introduce how living things are classified.
- Work on the most important characteristics of different phyla.
Come to the Zoo
The Zoo's Invertebrates activity reveals the complexity of the way living things are classified.
This workshop takes place in a specially equipped classroom, where the educator (biologist) explains to pupils the approach to the activity and oversees the way it is run.
The class is divided into five subgroups, each of which works on different aspects of invertebrates with the support of a guide and materials (which include surprise boxes). All pupils work on the different exercises.
- Video about the Spanish moon moth.
- Classification of the animal kingdom.
- Phylum Arthropoda.
- Phylum molluscs: gastropods and bivalves.
- Phylum Echinodermata.
- Observation using dual microscope.
The Zoo tour is done with the teacher (with the help of an auto-guide provided by the Zoo).
What have we learned?
Proposals for activities to be carried out after the Barcelona Zoo Invertebrates Workshop:
Nature Sciences Department:
- Work on some of the phyla that have been studied.
- Classify different invertebrates that have been collected during trips.
- Have pupils prepare a project on a species they have studied - either as a group or individually, and present them to classmates.
- Continue collecting invertebrates, adding phyla that were not studied at the Zoo.
Evaluation of learnings:
- The pupils have to describe different invertebrate animals shown to them (either in photos or real-life), and have to say which phylum they belong to and their most important features.
The Zoo's Invertebrates workshop is aimed at secondary school pupils in years 1 to 4, and enables them to learn in a highly interactive way the complexity and diversity of living things - especially invertebrates.
INTEGRATING THE ZOO’S INVERTEBRATES ACTIVITY INTO THE CURRICULUM
CORE CONCEPTS THAT CROSS THROUGH THE CURRICULUM
Educating about the environment.
RELATIONSHIP WITH THE CURRICULUM’S DISCIPLINES
Living things and their relationship with the environment.
In relation to knowledge, facts and concepts:
- Introduce the concepts of classifying living things and phyla
- Introduce the biology and ecology of invertebrates.
In relation to procedures:
Analyse and understand the diversity of mechanisms that invertebrates have to survive.
In relation to attitudes and values:
Promote respect for animals through better understanding.
Small group: 234 € (until 21 students) each additional student until 25, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
Big Group: 267 € (until 29 students) each additional student until 30, the price are 8,15 € for student. The free teachers
SPECIAL DISCOUNT DURING LOW PERIODS
If you sign up for an educational activity with the Department of Education during the months of September, December, January or February, you will receive a 20% discount off the price. Further, if during these months you do the activity on a Monday or Tuesday, you will receive a 30% discount. (*)
(*) If you sign up for an activity with the Department of Education taking advantage of the promotion and it has to be cancelled due to an incident of force majeure, we will reschedule the activity another day, always with the same original conditions.
Do you want to book?
For do the reservation, fill out the form below and we will contact you.